Tuesday, June 9th, 2009 ~ 10:20 am by Mauriat Miranda
“This is Fedora!”. Leonidas is in command!
After a minor 2 week delay, the diligent Fedora project just announced the release of Fedora 11.
The Fedora 11 Feature List seems rather spectacular with many big (and small) inclusions. There really are too many updates to list, some of the the highlights:
- GNOME 2.26 - Disk burning, Simpler file sharing, Better volume control, Media player enhancements
- KDE 4.2.2 - more updates to KDE4
- XFCE 4.6
- Better font installer
- Faster startup (20 seconds to get to Gnome)
- DeltaRPM support - faster, smaller downloads for updates
- Bluetooth Improvements
- Default EXT4 Filesystem
- Nouveau Driver as Default for Nvidia Video Cards
- Firefox 3.5(beta) - HTML5 and native video support
- Thunderbird 3.0
- Kernel 2.6.29
- Netbeans 6.5 - popular IDE (alternative to Eclipse)
- X-Server 1.6
Please user the Fedora-List mailing list or any of the forums for help. I have published my Personal Fedora 11 Installation Guide which is quite similar to Fedora 10 (but with less issues)!
If you try Fedora 11, on the surface you may not notice how many major and minor improvements have been worked into this release. Download, install and explore and I’m sure you will realize the positive changes in this rapidly moving distribution.