Do you fear the “Werewolf” * ?
The Fedora project just released Fedora 8 with a great deal of enthusiasm. Fedora had been slipping behind in the past few releases and there have always been quality issues, but the team hopes this release will put them back on track.
The highlights from the Release Summary:
- PulseAudio – A revamped sound system addressing many of the limitations and problems with older Linux sound systems.
- CodecBuddy – A tool to help install codecs and multimedia formats that Fedora cannot legally or ethically distribute directly.
- Compiz / Compiz-Fusion – Improvements on the Linux hardware accelerated user interface including cool effects.
- Network Manager – significant improvements for wireless network management.
- Firewall Administration is much more user friendly.
- Package Manager – You can install software using your media (DVD). Finally! We lost this in Fedora Core 5!
- PolicyKit – When accessing restricted tasks or hardware you now have a much more user-friendly password prompt
- Improved Laptop support
- Improved Bluetooth support
- Improved power management support
- Gnome 2.20, KDE 3.5.8, Xfce 4.4.1 (unfortunately KDE4 was delayed by the KDE team)
- GNOME Online Desktop – An application on the desktop to interface with online applications like GMail, Photobucket, Facebook, EBay, Wikipedia, and countless others
- New desktop theme
- IcedTea – This is a Fedora packaged version of the Java that Sun open sourced in the OpenJDK project. Now a working Java plus browser plugin comes included in Fedora.
- Eclipse 3.3
- OpenOffice 2.3.0
- Kernel 2.6.23
Please user the Fedora-List mailing list or any of the forums for help. There are some basic tips provided in my Personal Fedora 8 Installation Guide which should be updated within the week with the installation.
The release so far looks much more polished than the past few. I hope it is well received!
* – The Werewolf would have been much cooler if the release somehow made it on October 31! Oh well.
UPDATE – NOTE please DO NOT COMMENT here if you have problems with my Install Guide, use the CONTACT form with a proper email address. THANK YOU.